Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sacramento Antique Fair


In my days as a first grade teacher, I would often read the classic Three Billy Goats Gruff to my students.  The repetitive text was one of their favorites as they echoed the troll "Who's that trip-trapping over my bridge?!"  In the case of the Sacramento Antique Fair, they would have to change the echo to "Who's that trip-trapping UNDER my bridge?!!"

Beneath the freeway bridges at 21st and W-X street in Sacramento, there are lots of treasures, and yes, you may even find a vintage troll or two!  Held the second Sunday of every month, The Sacramento Antique Fair has grown to be one of jewels of Sacramento. 

Under beautiful blue skies this past Sunday, I had the pleasure of introducing my friend, Margaret, to the fair.  We arrived early, found parking easily, paid our $3 entrance fee and we were in!  Watching my friends' jaws drop is something I cherish!  Margaret was no exception - she was in awe of the numerous vendors, and the selection of merchandise.  As I was explaining pretty much anything can be found at this fair, we walked by these 4 foot bunnies!
I mean, seriously, where else can you find four foot bunnies?!  They would be great for a store window display for perhaps Easter?  Since Margaret and I were not in the market for 4 foot bunnies we moved on!
 
  I found this vintage train case at the Sac Antique Fair months ago and I bought it with the intention of reselling it at Melange but . . . I loved it so much I couldn't give it up!  So when I came across another one I had to check it out to see if it was better in anyway.  The new one has initials of the previous owner as well as the original 'Samsonite' label on it's underside so you guessed it!  I bought it to keep for myself and now this one is on sale at Melange!  I have an affinity for old suitcases but I'll save that story for another post!
Vintage dresses, hats, purses are plentiful!  If you ever need the perfect costume, this is the place to come!  So many decades are represented, 
from the gold rush days to "Mad Men" days!
We saw vintage fur coats, stoles, jackets, hats - you name it!  There were all kinds - rabbit, mink, sable, and even those little scarf like ones with the fox heads and feet still attached - decided not to take a picture of those!
Its always fun to treasure hunt for a particular item!  Margaret searched all the tables filled with vintage dishware for candlewick crystal and Fostoria!  

She found a beautiful candlewick relish dish and a candlewick tab handled dish from two different vendors.  These will be cherished reminders of her first visit to the Fair!
Antique and vintage furniture is everywhere to be found down under the freeway! Dressers, mirrors, beds, cafe sets, armoires, bookcases - some with the original finish, some have been refinished - I plan on painting this headboard I bought. If you like super chippy style or refined, you will love the variety the Antique Fair offers.  Even if you don't need furniture, it is fun to look at!
My oldest son, Max, came with me one day and looked at all the vintage guns and tools. Alex, my youngest, came with me to the May show and found a vintage Bourbon decanter to celebrate his 21st birthday!  One look at the picture above shows the variety of treasures to view - a chest of flatware, a vintage scale, Chinese checker board, wicker and bamboo side tables, and a bobble head dog like we used to see in the back of cars!  Just goes to show you, one man's trash is another man's treasure!
See that little sailor boy riding that seagull?  I found him on a previous visit!  He won my heart and I bought him but had no idea what I was going to do with him until I got home.  Somebody was kind enough to bring him to the Sac Antique Fair 
instead of tossing him in the trash. 
 Now he resides over the vignette that includes a photo of my three sons when they were much younger.  He reminds me of how I used to dress my boys in cute sailor outfits to take their picture.  I wonder - what is his story?  Just a fleeting glance over a vendors table and the sailor boy jogged a memory of the day I took Max, then 2 years old, to get his photograph taken. I'll post the picture when I find it!!

Margaret and I had a great time that day. As Margaret walked the aisles at the fair, she spotted numerous items that were inherited by her generation from her Aunt Celie or Grandma Erica - the items were once cherished by them, and now remained with a new generation to be part of making new memories.  And that's why I cherish this show - from the vendors, to the shoppers, to the merchandise - so many treasures waiting to be found and so many stories waiting to be told!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting a comment! I love hearing from my readers! Feel free to add ideas or make a special request and remember to Cherish Everyday!