Saturday, September 29, 2012

Rhoda and Adohr Farms

Rhoda - an unusual name for a cow! How about Bessie? Or Elsie?
 Here is a picture of my Great Grandpa Rindge's family.
My grandpa, Frederick, is the little guy on the right!
  My grandfather had a sister, Rhoda, she's the young girl in this family photo.
Naming my cow after her is a tribute to her dairy farm!

 When my great aunt, Rhoda May Rindge, grew up she met this handsome guy -

 Merritt Huntley Adamson Sr., a farmer,  fell in love, and got married.

 In 1916, Merritt and Rhoda founded a state-of-the-art dairy in Tarzana.
 They named it Adohr Farms; Adohr was Rhoda spelled backward!

Now since my cow is a Holstein, a kind of dairy cow, you can see why I felt compelled to name her after my great aunt, the owner of a large dairy.

Their dairy had Holsteins, and these cows, Guernseys.

 In fact, LOTS of Guernseys!  
The Adohr Stock Farms eventually became the Largest Guernsey Herd in the World!
 This monument still stands in tribute to their achievement, on the grounds at Morningstar Farms in Tulare and is the only remaining sculpture of its kind in the United States. 
The Adohr Milkmaid and Cow was a series of statues
commissioned to advertise Adohr Farms Creameries.
Aunt Rhoda was a strong woman, running the dairy even after her husband's death.

I was lucky enough to find this Adohr Milk Bottle on one of my treasure hunts long ago.

 Nostalgia! The milk man delivery to our door is a fond memory growing up!
My search continues to find more Adohr Farms milk bottles in different sizes ...

 At the last Sacramento Antique Fair, 
a milk crate, just like you see in this picture, was my latest find!

These vintage crates with metal edges are getting harder to find 
and this one even had the Adohr name on it!

I will cherish this treasure - the "Adohr" is a bit worn but still easy to make out!

And my bottle fits inside just right!

 This bronze name plate was uncovered at a Loomis Antique store about seven months ago. Even though the clock is new, the rest is vintage - I would love to know what this piece was used for! Perhaps it sat on my great Aunt Rhoda's desk years ago!

With my latest crate find, my Adohr Farms trifecta is complete!
Looking at it, I think of the long days my ancestors must have spent 
making their dairy so successful.  Dairy farming, like all farming, is hard work and long hours. Sometimes we take for granted how easy it is to get our food supply. With harvest starting soon, we need to take the time to thank all our farmers for their hard work, as they continue to produce the best and safest food supply in the world!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, so exciting to read all about Aunt Rhoda and the Adohr milk info. I never knew about the statue - that is so cool. Have you seen it in person? I will keep my eyes open for an Adohr Farm milk bottle for you! And I'm sure Aunt Rhoda is honored that you have remembered her with your little cow! How sweet is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for a picture of a Guernsey and found your site. I've enjoyed my visit. Yesterday, my husband and I bought two Jerseys. One has a calf that is half Guernsey. She is marked a lot like your cow, Rhoda. I can't wait to start milking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there! I found your site while looking for pictures of Adohr dairy in Camarillo. My father worked on the dairy and we lived there when I was little...I believed until the age of three. Even though I was quite young, I have some vivid memories of living there and of some of the adventures my older brother and I shared while there. I am finishing up a story about the day we both wandered off the dairy and caused a panic. I have one picture of my brother on the dairy, but would love to see more pictures of it if they can be found. I haven't had any success on the Internet until I saw your cow picture - is that one from the Camarillo site? I had fun reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there! I lived on the (Camarillo) Adohr dairy as a young child when my father worked there. I found your blog while looking for pictures of the Camarillo site - love the cow picture! Is it from the Camarillo dairy? I have one picture of my brother on the dairy, but would love to see more if they can be found. I am finishing up a story about one of our adventures while living there (we wandered off the dairy and caused a panic). I was quite young but have some vivid memories of living there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there! I lived on the Adohr dairy (Camarillo site) as a young child when my father worked there. I found your blog while searching for pictures of that site - love your black & white cow picture! Is that from the Camarillo dairy? I have one picture of my brother at the dairy, but would love to see more if they can be found. I am finishing up a story of one of our adventures while on the dairy and would like to include a couple of pictures. I was quite young, but I do have some vivid memories of living there. I remember being on my father's shoulders down at the bull pen :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have any idea what color the Adohr milk trucks shown in the photos were painted? Body color may be white? But even if so, any idea as to the color of the name/lettering? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just discovered in a friends garage in anaheim, an adohr steel galvanized milk container. Its been painted olive green and has been sitting in my friends garage for years, and must have been there since the original owners have been there. Its a 40 gallon container with adohr spelled out in raised lettering with the number 40 and the letters G S Reg Cal. Loved reading about the farm....not sure yet what im going to do with the container but its kind of sweet since Im a native californian

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an old milkcan with the Adohr name on it. It still has the lid. I have had it for several years but never paid much attention to the name until my husband noticed it and looked it up. I wonder how it got to South Georgia !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting a comment! I love hearing from my readers! Feel free to add ideas or make a special request and remember to Cherish Everyday!