Thursday, June 9, 2011

Before and After: End Tables

Multiple tiered tables make great end tables, either bedside or next to a couch or chair.  This one, found at a thrift store, was sturdy and sound, though is had multiple scratches and the varnish was peeling off.  Nothing that a little elbow grease, sandpaper, and paint can't cure!
Now its all freshened up!
This end table has great lines and detailing - perfect for a shabby project!  However, it needed a little extra work as the drawer had swollen wherever it was stored so the drawer would not push in all the way.  I pulled out the drawer and sanded down the rails and sides of the drawer and it worked fine!  It was also missing one of the screws that held the drawer handle, and needed lots of sanding to get rid of surface scratches.  But after sanding, primer, paint and then some extra sanding to shabby it . . .
. . . it is now ready for a Victorian parlor, a country cottage, or a seaside bedroom!
This simple end table's top was badly scratched and the varnish was flaking off.  Again, lots of sanding, some tightening of the leg screws, and this table was ready for finishing.  I always wrangle with color choices in my head, but the simplicity of this table just reminded me of calm times sitting by the ocean.  Blue is a calming color so . . .
Now it's in my space at Melange- the centerpiece of my summer display! The vintage picnic basket is filled with some petit-point vintage dishes, there's a beachy striped runner, vintage flash cards, vintage hand embroidered linens, and of course some starfish!  If you look closely on the left, there is a mosaic cream colored vase that sits atop my handmade mosaic porthole mirror done in blue beach glass.  The paper parasol is perfect for keeping the summer sun of fair-skin types like myself, and I embellished that birdcage with seashells as well!  Ahhh, summer!!

2 comments:

  1. Just looking at your summer display gets me excited to go to the beach! Love it - Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why can't you be near Portland? We could use your help in decorating Melissa's apartment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting a comment! I love hearing from my readers! Feel free to add ideas or make a special request and remember to Cherish Everyday!