Sunday, May 29, 2011

Before and After: Chalkboard

After remodeling our kitchen, we were left with a whole bunch of cupboard doors.  The finish was well worn but they were still in good shape so I decided to try making one into a chalkboard.  I sanded it down, sprayed primer on it, taped off the raised frame, and painted the inside panel with three coats of chalkboard paint.  Since it is so close to summer, I thought the popular turquoise color paint would be best.  I painted on two coats, let them dry thoroughly and then sanded down the edges to give the chalkboard the shabby look. 
Now the cupboard door has been repurposed and is a fresh new chalkboard ready for a student headed off for college or to use for family messages in the kitchen!   This prototype came out pretty well so I will be refinishing the other old cupboard doors as well!   This one is now for sale at Melange!

2 comments:

  1. It is beautiful - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! I have been DYING to get my hands on some chalkboard paint. I keep seeing so many projects using it and it's making me itchy do my own!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting a comment! I love hearing from my readers! Feel free to add ideas or make a special request and remember to Cherish Everyday!